Christian healing

Healing happens! I wanted a place to share the sweet stories of God's grace and power that people send to me. Lift up your heart with joy to the Lord! Rejoice, be glad, and praise God's wonderful works to the children of men.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Running without fear

Thank you for publishing the article "5 Ways to Dispel Fear and Chance" by Elise Moore in the Oct. 9, 2006 Sentinel. It helped me overcome my fears and nervousness concerning a foot race Oct. 15 on the campus where I teach at the University of Southern Mississippi, in Hattiesburg, MS. I read the article the morning before the race and realized fear has no legitimate place in my thoughts, so I jettisoned fear. That left nervousness, but about 1/2 a mile into the race, I jettisoned that, too, replacing it with a sense of excitement and fun. I decided that running my best was not enough; I wanted to run with a sense of joy and even encouragement to others in the race. I spoke a few words of encouragement to two other runners near me in the race. As it turned out, I won the race, but the real victory was in overcoming fear.
- Bob